Thursday, July 28, 2011

Challenge of the Week: Tonkotsu Ramen and Chasu [Pt 2]


So, this report has not been as prompt as I hope it would be... but here's my verdict of the tonkatsu ramen and chasu challenge:

Tonkatsu Base:
They're not kidding when they tell you that the fatback is VERY important... chewy bits of fats was what ruined my soup... but otherwise, it was great :)

Chasu:
Fabulous! Brought Jk to Kintaro and he loved their soup better but thought that their Chasu couldn't compare to mine :)

The fatback was substituted with normal fat not because I was being cheap (although I jumped for joy when I found that fat is free!) The West Coast of Canada at least seem to be very into the 'healthy' scene and don't really carry fatback or lardon at grocery stores and why would they when butchers didn't even understand me when I asked them for fatback/lardons. Disappointment.

The 10 hours or so put into this little challenge of mine was all in all well worth the effort.. next time though, more pork hocks :)

Chow ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment