Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Challenge of the Week: Tonkotsu Ramen and Chasu [Pt 1]

As I droned on about different foods I have tried and would like to try and would like to make for what must be the millionth time, I'm pretty sure something in Jk's head snapped.

"That sounds great hun, why don't you make it a weekly thing?" he snapped, or so I thought (I've been known to be more than a little bit paranoid)

But oh well, Challenge Accepted.

After an awesome Ramen lunch with Jy and Ed at Kintaro on Denman and Robson, where we were placed in front of the chefs preparing our ramen and Jy ecstatically video-taping the whole thing on her phone with a live commentary, I realized I found my first challenge: Ramen.

I surfed the internet and searched high and low for a legit sounding recipe for Ramen and came down to:

and

Shoyu? or Tonkotsu?

Reading through both recipes diligently (if I put the same amount of effort in my classes, I'd be on the Honour Roll), I finally decided on Tonkotsu as I am sure that Kintaro's Ramen had little pieces of fat floating in it and I love the idea of a creamy soup that has no dairy or flour in it whatsoever.

So after reading through it yet again (I should seriously try this method for studying), I decided to pick and choose. For the Tonkotsu base and ramen preparations, I would take it from norecipesblog and for my chasu, I would use thepauperedchef's technique.

To the asian supermarket then!

Wish me luck that I don't end up with a watery oily soup base that would emphasize the epitome of asian dishonourment: Failure.




No comments:

Post a Comment